Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Austin



“The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are.” –Samuel Johnson

Even though I had lived in the USA for almost 13 years, it was last weekend the first time I got to experience the “Texan spirit” by visiting Austin.

I had always since my childhood wanted to visit Texas. Like many children of my generation I grew up in Spain watching Westerns with my dad and since then I have developed a love affair with cowboy boots.

I must say, it was one of my best trips and Austin exceeded my all expectations in every possible way. The people were friendly, not in a cheesy way but in a sincere warm way.


I loved its diverse food and music scene, and I really enjoyed walking around the town and learning about the rich local history and culture. I loved seeing the Texan lone start; they were every where in Austin! It was magical as well to see hundredths of bats at dusk fly into the night!


Austin seems also like a great town to bike around, I saw lots of single speed and fixies and I wished I had had my bike as well to cruise around town.



A nice bike related surprise is that I got to visit Mellow Johnny’s, Lance’s bike shop where I bought a bell for my bike that makes the sweetest ring.






















“El proposito de viajar es equilibrar la imaginación con la realidad, en vez de pensar en como serán las cosas, las vemos tales y como son.” –Samuel Johnson


A pesar de que he he vivido casí 13 aňos en California aun no había visitado el estado de Texas para experimentar el “espíritu texano.” Desde mi infancia siempre había querido visitar esta parte de Estados Unidos, como muchos niňos de mi generación crecí viendo películas del Oeste con mi padre y desde entonces comenze mi historia de amor con las votas vaqueras.



Debo confesar que mi viaje a Austin supero todas mis expectativas. La gente es simpática, nada cursi sino sinceramente amable. Me encanto la variedad en su cocina y en la escena musical, pero lo que realmente más me gusto fue el caminar por la ciudad aprendiendo sobre su historia y cultura..


El escudo de Texas tiene una estrella y en Austin hay estrellas por todas partes! Fue mágico el ver a cientos de murcielos volar y fundirse en la noche.




Me parece que Austin es una excelente ciudad para ir en bici, ví muchos tipos de bicis pero sobre todo fixies y me dio envida (de la buena) pues me habría gustado tener la mia para ir de un lado a otro..., pero una sopresa inesperada fue ir a Mellow Johnny’s, que es la tienda de bicis de Lance, donde compre un timbre para mi bici. El timbre estó hecho en Japón y tiene un precioso tintineo.














No comments:

Post a Comment